Saturday, June 24, 2006

Ode to Hunter

Hunter S. Thompson was not necessarily someone I would want to hang out with. Though he did love the NFL, so we could have watched some games. But I write this brief post to acknowledge and remember his writing of the single greatest obituary of all time, the one penned for Rolling Stone in 1994 after the death of Richard Nixon. It is a masterwork of devastation.
If the right people had been in charge of Nixon's funeral, his casket would have been launched into one of those open-sewage canals that empty into the ocean just south of Los Angeles. He was a swine of a man and a jabbering dupe of a president. Nixon was so crooked that he needed servants to help him screw his pants on every morning. Even his funeral was illegal. He was queer in the deepest way. His body should have been burned in a trash bin.
Holy fuck. I rember sitting in the 3d floor radio lounge at Robinson Hall after a radio shift and picking up a loose copy of Rolling Stone and reading that. As those who know me know, I endlessly strive for that kind of language to encapsulate shit I hate, and coming as it did a week into the most surreal bullshit about Nixon's "greatness" from the pundits I remember being absolutely in awe of what I was reading. I connected with Thompson's words on the most guttural-scream level. It stands as the only piece I've ever read in a magazine that may be properly captured thus: "orgasmic." It was glorious.

The lack of such a piece after Reagan died is one of my life's great emptinesses. He, too, deserved one. As Bush will when he goes.

Maybe this Hunter will take up the slack, the single best "blogger" on the internets. This guy rolls off devastating takedown after devastating takedown. His words are put to use in such a consistently surgical precision that I am always left in amazement after finishing one of his pieces. I get an actual sensation of pleasure reading them. His pieces on The Great Conservative Walkback (note: each word a separate link) mark for me the highlight of the power of blogging.

So here's to you, Hunters.

1 Comments:

Blogger TubaOnFire said...

Hunter Kicks Ass.

2:46 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home